Monday, 15 September 2008

Merida, Mexico, Marvelous

We are back from a really fantastic holiday. It didn't start out too great for me though. Mack left on a Saturday, and Taz and I were supposed to leave the Tuesday after. We arrived at the airport on time, made it through security and onto the plane with not too much hassle. I was pretty apprehensive, cause this was the first time I was traveling with a baby and didn't know how she was going to react. But, Taz was an absolute darling and captured the hearts of all traveling with us. I digress. Apparently our plane was having technical difficulties, and after sitting on the tarmac for 4hrs, our flight was cancelled. They told me I could either go home, or take the next flight to Dallas and then go on to Mexico the next morning. Well we were already at the airport, so I decided to overnight in Dallas and then make it to Mexico earlier the next day. Mack was supposed to pick us up at the airport at 11pm that night, and I had no way of letting him know that our flight had been cancelled, so close to midnight I got a frantic phonecall to find out where I was. The poor guy.

Anyway, we finally made it to Merida. What a unique little town. There was a huge French influence in the area, so the architecture was all French Colonial - not what I was expecting at all. It was also smack bang in the middle of one of the thickest jungles I think I've ever seen - so not the Mexico in the Three Amigo's that I was expecting. It was also hot and very humid - great for my skin, not so great for my hair. It was fabulous though, cause I didn't feel the need to do my hair or make-up and so I pretty much just got up in the morning, threw on my bathing costume and went out. I showered at night, cause the place we were staying only had a cold shower, and I loathe cold showers. I could only face the cold shower at night when I was really dirty and sweaty and still really hot from being outside. If I allowed my self to cool down even a little bit, I couldn't take a shower.

Chichen Itza : Mack went there before I arrived. He said it was really cool, but you couldn't walk on any of the ruins.



The Temple in Merida:


Merida - Plaza Mayor - Town Square: Here you can see some of the non-Mexican looking architecture. The Cathedral on the Plaza Mayor is the oldest in North America .

This is how Tamsine liked to do her sight seeing:

2 comments:

Em said...

So jealous! Renn served his mission in Merida, and he always talks about taking us there someday.

Jen said...

Glad you're back safe and sound!