Tuesday, 26 February 2008

Pancakes - SA Style

Hmmmm, Yummy. I told Mack I would make him pancakes. I think he was expecting the large, fluffy, American kind that you rub with butter and then douse in maple syrup.

Well, he was wrong. I made deliciously thin, cinnamon sugar, South African style pancakes. I was in heaven - and so was he mind you.

This is how they work. You have to get the pan at just the right temperature, pour just the right amount of batter into the pan, and then swirl the batter around till it coats the bottom of the pan. Once the pancake looks cooked through, flip it so that both sides are browned slightly. Then, put it on a plate and lightly sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar. Repeat till you have a nice stack of thin pancakes. The reason for this, is that the heat from the top pancake melts the sugar on the bottom pancake, coating both sides of the pancake with the right amount of cinnamon, sugary sweetness.



Then, you want to stick just one prong of a fork into the side of one of the pancakes and roll it. Like so:



Then you pull your pancake onto a plate. Pull a few more pancakes onto the same place so the first doesn't feel alone, and then sprinkle lightly with lemon juice (for a sweet and sour deliciousness), top with whipped cream and voila, pancake perfection.



Mack prefers his with ice cream inside and no lemon juice - they're good that way too.

*disclaimer: I only have a point and shoot camera. Don't judge the photography.*

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you're feeling a bit better. Those look amazing . . . I think I'm going to have to try them very soon.

Anonymous said...

tELL me if you read these bloody comments!!!! Also, now i'm hungry, thanks... now what you have to try is doing the batter different colours and having a raindow stack on the plate! Looks really cool! Love you M and J

butchie said...

PLEASE send me the recipe you use! Is it a modified crepe recipe?

j cubed said...

Dang that looks yummie!! Why didn't we have these when we were roommates?
South African is always the way to go!! Love you!