Yesterday at about 3:30pm Mack called and told me that he was being sent home from work early due to a blizzard and that I too should hit the road. I was grateful for this piece of advice and let my bosses know I had to leave early due to severe weather conditions at my house. I hoped in the car and drove for about 20 min with nary a sight of snow. Then, about 1 mile from my exit my poor car was hit by a gust of wind and a swirl of snow that completely blocked my vision. Shock, horror. I slowed to a near stop and finally found my exit. I breathed a sigh of relief thinking I would be home soon. Well I was sorely mistaken. Over 3hrs, snow drifts, emergency vehicles, sliding, panic, and a few well chosen words later, I slid into my driveway and parked my car. A drive that usually takes me under 10min took over 3hrs.
Then, to add insult to injury our lectricity (power) had been out since 3 that afternoon. Now picture it: blizzard conditions, below zero temperatures and no lectricity to warm oneself or even make a nice cup of tea. I walked into the house to find Mack on the couch, wrapped in a huge green fluffy blanket, surrounded by every candle we own, listening to music on his cell phone. Even the poor cat was sitting underneath the blanket.
Mack had raided our emergency kit and pulled out a few MREs (army ration Meals Ready to Eat). Oh Yummy! Well at least they have a little heating device in them so we had warm, if not totally nutritious food. It felt like Armageddon had come.
Anyway, we ended up going to bed at 8pm cause there was nothing else to do. The power finally came back on a little past midnight, so we finally had some heat, and we were up and about at 5am this morning. Phoebe was really glad cause she had wanted to start playing about the time we decided to go to bed, and by 5 was bored out of her little feline mind.
Apparently we had it pretty easy. According to the news this morning, the freeway was a complete standstill, loads of people slid off the road or got their cars buried in snow drifts, a couple of schools wouldn't let their kids go home cause it was too dangerous so they kept them overnight, and about 1400 homes in our area were still without lectricity when I left for work this morning.
This is supposed to be the last snowstorm in our area for a while - I really hope so cause its doing my head in!!!!!
1 comment:
oh my gosh....
Post a Comment