Monday, 11 February 2013

The Hair Cut

Taz has the most fantastic hair.  It is thick.  It is CURLY! And, it is the most amazingly vibrant shade of auburn you have ever seen.  Pictures do not do it justice.  Wherever we go, people stop me and comment on her hair.

I let her hair grow and just do its own thing, because seriously, taming the wild beast is not always the best option.  Well, the wild beast has become a thing of the past for us.  Why?  Because the hair either had to go, or one of us was not going to survive the next wash and brush session.  Brushing the child's hair was becoming increasingly more of a chore and a cause of serious tension between the two of us than it needed to be.  She hated....hmmm, no, more like HATED getting her hair brushed because it was so curly and knotty and got so ratted at night.  I woke up one day and figured I only had two options to help my child not have serious issues about her hair when she grew up, 1) Let her hair form into dreadlocks, or 2) convince her that getting her hair cut short was what she wanted to do.  It took about a week of me telling her the only way to not have to brush her hair was to cut it short like daddy's hair.  She woke up one morning and said, "Mom, I want to cut my hair, but, only if I can have some blue in it."  Done and DONE!!

I called the neighbour and asked her to babysit Little Miss H, and took Taz to a walk-in Salon down the road.  The hair dresser in this salon took one look at the munchkins hair and refused to cut it.  What the what?!  Umm, how can you refuse?  Nope, they point blank refused to cut that hair.  So, I took her to a different salon, where the stylist looked at me like I was crazy for wanting to cut her hair and tried to talk me into just styling it a little shorter.  I told them to listen to me carefully.  I wanted her hair to be cut OFF, boyshort, pixie cut.  Still, I met opposition.  Eventually I asked if they were going to do it or not, or if I had to take my child some place else.  They agreed to do it, but all the stylists in the salon looked like they wanted to cry.  The guy who eventually cut Taz's hair told me that if he could hand pick his own kids hair, Taz's hair would be what he would pick. I told him what it was like to brush that hair while still attached to the child's head and what it felt like to do all that with a broken back.  He didn't say much after that.

This is what her hair looked like the morning we took her in:



This is what it looked like during the cut:



This is what it looked like after the cut:


And, this is what it looked like the next morning:



After all her hair had been lobbed off, the stylist asked her if she liked her new hair cut.  She thought about it for a few seconds and then said, "Yeah I like it, but its just missing a little something....Its missing some blue."  I bought a can of blue hairspray, sprayed the front curl a vivid blue and she was one happy little girl.  Best part of the whole thing?  We don't have screaming fits in the bath anymore.  She loves washing her hair now, doesn't run when I try to brush it and it has possibly saved that part of our mother/daughter relationship.

Besides, it really suites her and we still get stopped wherever we go.

1 comment:

Cathy Westover said...

My first thought when I saw the curls on the floor was "How can I pick those up and pet them? They look so soft!"