Thursday, 23 December 2010

A Promise is a Promise

Remind me next time to check on the weather before I make a promise to my child that I just HAVE to keep.

We promised Taz that we would take her to see the Christmas lights at the zoo, and typical of us, we kept using it as bribery through the whole day. Oh Taz, if you eat all your food, we'll take you to the zoo. Hey Taz, if you take a nice long nap we'll go to the zoo when you wake up. Well, she woke up and jumped out of bed and said, "Lets go to the zooooooooooooooo." And thats when I looked out the window and saw not just a slight drizzle, or even a steady downpour - oh no - it was bucketing down with rain. I couldn't suddenly tell her that we couldn't go to the zoo. Rain is no obstacle to a two year old, its only an obstacle to her infirm mother. So like the fantastically, amazing parent that I am, I started to pull on my thermal underwear.

I told Taz that she would have to wear her warmest clothes. She dashed into her room, and came out dragging her Butterfly costume from Halloween. Apparently the warmth of that costume had made an impression on the child, because she could not be swayed into wearing anything else (except one of my scarves that she insisted on adding to her ensemble).

And thats how we ended up spending our evening walking around in the pouring rain, with no animals to be seen, but with a 2 year old in a butterfly costume jumping into any puddle she could find with the biggest grin on her face.

Was it worth it? Every goosebump!


(Thanks to Ouma, she had her froggy umbrella.)

(Daddy, I saw Santa.)

(Hot chocolate on the go - no stopping this one.)

(The highlight of the evening - the carousel- twice.)

3 comments:

Jen said...

This puts you firmly into Supermom league, do you realise?

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jen, you are an amazing mom! Great pictures, what an adorable child!

--jeff * said...

leithal,
you are awesome!
i'm so happy that i know you.