Sunday, 13 June 2010

Happy 2nd Birthday!!!!

My little girl is 2 and so stinking adorable. We had a low key 2nd birthday for her with cake and lunch with the grandparents. And, because she is a little too obsessed with bugs, and the movie A Bugs Life, I decided to make her a butterfly cake. She loved, loved, loved her cake and kept staring at it with the hugest, cutest smile on her face. When I finally brought it down to her level, she kept kissing it on the little candy nose. Eventually I realized that every time she kissed the nose, she sucked on it, and eventually wore the candy coating right off. It was too precious for words. Oh, and she even kept a clip in her hair for most of the morning - something she has refused to do since.

Anyway, after making Mack's aquarium cake, I became a little obsessed about what I could do with sugar glass - seriously there are so many possibilities. I decided to incorporate it into the wings of the butterfly. I made three different shades of the glass, then smashed it up a bit and "glued" the pieces together in the shape of butterfly wings, using white chocolate. I wished I had a bigger piping nozzle so the chocolate was a little smoother, but hey, considering it was my first time doing something like this - I'm still impressed with myself. I then made the body of the butterfly out of cake, and balanced each of the wings on little battery operated candle lights, so that the wings glowed. You can't really see that part too well in the pictures, but it was pretty effective.

Happy Birthday my little Munchkin!!!!!!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

She is so cute! I can't believe she is two already. That cake is gorgeous--you really are too stinking talented. Give her a big birthday love for us!

UtahBoy said...

Fun, fun day & great pics!

Jen said...

Happy birthday Taz!
That cake is incredible.

Stina said...

Cool cake! happy bday taz! you're such a big girl now!