Friday, 21 August 2009

I Know Whats Wrong

So I finally know what is wrong with me. The MRI showed that I have fractured the second to last disc in my lower back, which is leaking fluid, which is causing inflammation, which is causing pressure on my spinal cord, which is causing the serious amounts of pain that I've been in. It isn't something that can be fixed with surgery (which I'm relieved about). So right now I'm on anti inflammatories and muscle relaxers (to help me sleep). I also have to wear a back brace, and start physical therapy on Monday. The specialist said that the right kinds of exercise would help me heal, but that I would never completely heal from an injury like this. He also said that this would be a long healing process and to only expect a 10-20% improvement a month. Sjo!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You poor thing! I am so sorry--I hope that you can gradually get some relief though. Let me know if I can do anything for you! I hope they at least gave you some good drugs :o)

Jen said...

No way! That is hectic!! I hope you are able to get the rest that you need (with a 1 year old, is that possible?) and that you feel a lot better soon!

idon'tremembereatingcorn said...

oh.. leith.. what an epic struggle. I feel so bad for you. I hate pain. so my mum has been telling me about these for a while... http://lifewave.com/icewave.asp
(i have pain too.. but not as bad as yours)
torah just got some and she said they are amazing. if I were you I would try them at least.. have a look at the website.. mum will give you a run down over skype or something if you don't have time to sort through the info if you don't have time.
i have not tried them because I spend money on other stuff!! but i will soon I think.
you can heal faster and better than most doctors tell you you can. people do it all the time. do what they say but then do more. love rowe

Chris said...

Christy and I are really happy you found out what the matter was. We are sad that there is no easy fix though. We hope the best for you.

--jeff * said...

leithal, congratulations on identifying the problem.

i hope that the doctors are wrong again, and that you recover quicker and more fully than they say.