Tuesday, 11 September 2007

My Tribute to my Ouma

So one of the reasons the whole family is going to South Africa, is because its my Ouma's (grandmother) 80th birthday. My talented cousin Brenna has put together a little tribute booklet for her with photos and letters from the whole family declaring our undying love and devotion for my Ouma. Well My mother wrote a poem as her tribute, Jeremy (my younger brother) composed a song, and so I decided that the only logical tribute for me to do, was to write and illustrate a childrens book.

You see as I sat down and thought about my Ouma and the time I used to spend with her, my memories seemed really childlike. Then I realized that they would be childlike - umm, cause I was a child when the memories were made. It only seemed logical if my memories were that of a child, I should express them like a child, so hence the book. Also, considering I still draw like a child it just made sense. The book isn't amazing or even very good, but its from the heart and thats what counts right?

I call it "The Little Ouma".

3 comments:

Em said...

That is so sweet!
I might just steal the idea.
Although the part where I draw like a disabled child is a bit of a problem.

Jen said...

You. Are. Amazing.
Love ya!

nicole hill gerulat said...

You are an illustrator? I had no idea. These are great.