In an attempt to get my body healthy and working the way I know it can, I've been on a mission to find out as much as I can about why I can't sleep anymore and why I feel like I'm walking in a fog, oh and most importantly, why the hell my body won't release any of my stored fat, no matter how hard I exercise or how little I eat. So, I started reading a book about how our metabolisms and endocrine systems work. Essentially, what I got out of the book, is that my body is completely confused and can't function the way it is designed to function because of all the crap I've been putting into it. To put it simply, my body is English speaking, but because of all the "fake foods" I've been eating, its only getting directions in Japanese.
I knew about the hormones and chemicals the food industry pumped into our food to increase yield and prolong shelf life, but what I didn't know is what those chemicals and hormones are doing to our bodies - and now that I know a little more - I'm COMPLETELY FREAKED OUT!!!!! Not so much for myself, but for my girls. I'm responsible for what goes into my children's mouths, so its my fault if they can't have kids one day or get childhood diabetes or heaven forbid, cancer.
So, in an effort to give my kids at least a little bit of a fighting chance in a consumer driven world that is trying to kill us, I've decided to try to be a little more of a pro-active mom and try to eliminate as much processed foods as I can from my kids diet. Now that's a little easier said than done when the Tazling pretty much lives on mac n' cheese, vienna sausages and chicken nuggets.
My solution: I made chicken nuggets from scratch this morning, using chicken, eggs and whole wheat bread crumbs. And they're delish if I do say so myself. I also boiled a pot of whole wheat macaroni and divided it into Taz sized portions, then froze it. Then, I made a pot of cheese sauce using almond milk, cheddar and parmesan cheeses, a little nutmeg and garlic for flavour and corn starch to thicken it. I then portioned that and froze it too. Voila - microwaveable mac n' cheese. I'm not even going to attempt vienna sausages so don't worry, but I have been buying the kosher kind that only have meat in them.
And there you have it - Yay for me for trying to only feed my kids food with ingredients I can pronounce.
3 comments:
Good for you! It's not easy, especially with the other challenges you're dealing with. I'm proud of you.
Over here processed food is expensive, unlike in the UK where it was cheaper than fresh or home made stuff. Luckily I have the time necessary to make things from scratch. I do batches of tomato pasta sauce and freeze them, make huge batches of waffles and freeze them (the kids love them toasted with choc spread), etc. But I can't imagine spending hours in the kitchen on my feet with a sore back :(
now you've given me one more reason to want to come over to your place for lunch.
you had me at "homemade chicken nuggets."
actually, you had me at "leithal."
way to be awesome. i'm very impressed.
and yet, this sort of amazingness is what i expect from you.
How did I JUST realize you have a blog!
I need to do so much better at feeding my kids less processed foods. You inspire me to do better!
Post a Comment