Anyway, it was an interesting experience. There were 205 people from 64 different countries at the naturalization ceremony. We all had to sit separated from our families to take the oath, and would you believe that the only other South African there ended up sitting right behind me. And, I knew him growing up in Cape Town, Quintin Atkinson. Small world eh? We had a good chat waiting for the ceremony to start.
I have to admit that I became quite emotional during the oath (but I blame that on pregnancy hormones), and it was really hard to give up all loyalty and patriotism to South Africa (the words caught in my throat just a little), but at least I get to keep my SA citizenship and become a citizen of my new home, so its the best of both worlds for me.
I completely forgot to take a camera, but my amazing and dear friend Jen and her family came to the ceremony and she had her camera so at least the moment was documented - Thanks hon.
Just sitting and waiting for things to begin.
All done, and waiting for my citizenship certificate.
That ones mine.
And its official.
Thats Jen, her husband Josh, and their little boy, and the other three you should recognize.
3 comments:
That's so amazing, I'm so happy for you! We kept dual citizenship too (had to apply, it's not automatic). I wonder if we'll be able to keep SA and UK citizenships if we apply for NZ citizenship down the road ... if not, guess which one I'll forfeit.
I'm thrilled for you and thrilled to know a redheaded African-American! What a riot.
I'm so glad Jen was there for your big day! (and her camera). Thinking of you!
dang, leithal! congratulations.
i will sing "coming to america" to you the next time i see you.
did your accent disappear when you took the oath?
Post a Comment