Wednesday, 19 May 2010

A Duvet for the Munchkin

I'm working on changing the Munchkins room around at the moment. She will be two in less than a month and so we're (dreading) taking on the challenge of transitioning her from her cot (crib) to a normal bed.

I want a really cute duvet cover for her, but alas the peoples of the USA have not yet cottoned on to the delights of the duvet quite as much as the rest of the world and its not that easy finding covers. I have an Ikea close by, but they just don't have what I'm looking for.

So, being a person that hates things to not go my way, I've decided to make her a duvet cover. Yes, its true. But, not just any duvet cover. I want it to look like a quilt. Not a froofy, smells like moth balls and looks like it belongs in an old age home, kind of quilted duvet cover, but something along the lines of this:


So now I'm on the look out for cute fabric. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Cute! I have no doubt you will come up with something amazing. There is tons of fabulous quilting fabrics out nowadays. But if you want anything sent over from here, just let me know and I'll arrange it.

Andi said...

Oh my gosh Leith, I just saw that aquarium cake and I'm speechless! Baffled even. Amazing.

I love the idea of a quilt like duvet. Are you familiar with the fabric store Pine Needles in Gardner Village? Or Material Girls? Gotta love fabric shopping! Have fun.

--jeff * said...

i was going to say, i wonder if fern and lola carries such a duvet cover.... ; )

the Allers said...

For what its worth - the transition to a "big boy bed" for Preston was WAY easier than I thought......He learned to crawl out of his crib on his 2nd birthday - so we had no choice. That night we spent about 2 hours putting him back in to bed when he'd get out (he thought it was a game). But once he was asleep, he stayed there. The next night it was only about an hour of putting him back. Then by the 3rd night he was fine. Done and done. Hope it goes well for you!