Q: What do you do with a child that doesn't want to sleep. Her eyes may be rolling back in her head she's so tired, but she fights it with more will power than I think I've ever possessed. If I try to let her cry it out, she will proceed to scream her little lungs out for hours at a time and won't stop until I go into her room and tell her she's going to be okay. She then silent sobs and shudders for about 15 min before I can get her to relax. Then she falls asleep in 2 sec. Its driving me insane!!!
A: This is where you depart your wisdom.... Go, I'm ready for it!
6 comments:
um....
wisdom? eventually Hy would cry it out... so I have no clue, just sympathy.
Honestly?
Try 3 nights of not going in to tell her she's ok. Assume in advance that these 3 nights will be the worst of your life.
See if by the 4th night she doesn't fall asleep on her own within 2 hours.
And if by the 2nd week she isn't under an hour.
Don't assume it'll work any faster than that.
I HATE doing this method, but it has been the only thing that works for my kids when we come to power-of-will issues like this. I just have to completely detach.
Good luck!
No wisdom, just perspective. It won't last forever, you only have 16 more years or so of this! Give her a kiss from her Grammy!
{{{hugs}}} It's really hard. People tell you you're going to miss these days - not me. Not for anything would I go through the whole baby / toddler phase again. I loved my babies but man, it was hard! I guess that's my way of saying I'm sorry you're going through this but I have no wisdom. I remember my kids doing this but don't remember how we got through it! Not helpful, I know. How is her napping?
This link may be helpful: http://www.mamapedia.com/article/toddler-fighting-sleep
Hang in there!! I promise this will pass!!
Also no advice, but LOTs of sympathy! We just ordered a book online though that Travis and Ira told us was AMAZING! Called "Healthy Sleeping Habits, Happy Kid". I should have it any time now, I'll tell you if there's a toddler section :-)
I have to agree with Miss Em whomever she may be. We had an incredibly hard time getting Jack to nap and sleep even though he was miserably tired. Finally at last resort, we had to let him scream it out. It broke my heart but tell you what sure worked after 3 days. Since then he's been a little prince and is so much happier.
I don't know. I guess all kids are different. :)
Post a Comment