So now that we know our little bundle of joy is a girl, Mack and I have been thinking of names. Only one girls name has stuck with me. I've tried to think of others, but just keep coming back to this one. Mack didn't like it at first, but I persisted and now that its grown on him, he has agreed. And so it is that our firstborn will be named - Tamzin.
Tamsin/Tamzin/Tamsine/Tamsyn is a Cornish name (English), and is a form of the name Thomasina. It means twin.
I didn't realize that here in the US people would think it such an unusual name. I've had a couple of comments like, "Well THATS different, you do know that she's going to have to go to school with such an unusual name?" to which I reply "With a name like Leith, you don't think I know what I'm doing to her." This statement is usually met with silence. And I just smile.
Now we come to the dilemma of people calling her Tam or Tammy. I hate the name Tammy. Mack insists that we need to come up with a nickname. So I have decided that if people feel the need to shorten her name, they'll have to call her Taz.
So Tamzin, or Taz it is. What do you think?
5 comments:
Love the name. Did you find it in a baby book or hear it somewhere?
What do I think? I think you've made the fundamental mistake of telling anyone the name *and asking for opinions* before the child is born, named and registered. Dude, you as so opening yourself up to rude opinions, even though it's a pretty name. (I agree about Tammy though, Taz is a much cuter nickname.)
It just makes me laugh, I remember playing Barbie dolls with you and you always called them Keira and insisted that one day your daughter would be called Keira.
Ha, Ha, anybody who knows me, knows I've already made my mind up and I don't really care about other peoples opinions (unless they agree with mine). I just wanted people to feel like I'm actually considering their opinion. Thats all.
Why is that such an unusal name?
From my experience: we named our daughter Phillipa - the temptation is to shorten it to Pippa. It has never happened to my knowledge. People tend to take their cues from the parents and if you introduce her as Tamzin, people will call her that. If anyone does shorten it, just gently correct them right from the start. Phillipa usually introduces herself as Phillipa Anne so that nips alot of shortening temptation in the bud.
Post a Comment